Sunday, August 12

thank you, flea market

If you know me you know I'm not one of those annoyingly organized DIY-ers who raises goats and makes their own soap, etc. - the dogs are lucky I drop food in their bowls twice a day.

But somehow I got it in my head that I can make myself a pair of shoes. My friend M., who does know how and makes them for a living, gave me a few boxes of leather scraps when she cleaned out her studio this Spring. I've been mulling it over since then.

This morning a vendor at the flea market had a box of old wooden shoemaker's lasts, so I'm now one (ahem) step closer. Of course I was tempted to buy the whole box -- they look so cool and, who knows, maybe I'll become a shoemaker (be still, compulsive heart) but I settled on two pairs in my size. It looks like one pair has a higher rise than the other. My feet aren't double-A narrow, but since I was going to start from nothing this has got to be better.

Next I'll think about designs for a while, then, if I know me like I think I do, without even looking up shoemaking on google or having the proper tools I'll make two clunky but Yeti-worthy monstrosities. Or, maybe just one then I'll quit. Stay tuned.