Saturday, December 10

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. – Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Mr. Lentil rounded the end of the aisle pushing a cart ... "I know you don't want any more vintage sewing machines but I think you'll want to see this."

Oh heck yes. It's a 1961 Singer Slantomatic. Slant. O. Matic. And, my dear people, it. Is. Stellar. Shiny, virtually scuff-free, with all-metal gears and a bakelite pedal! It came complete with its manual, some bobbins, original cleaning brush, screw drivers, etc. - spare bobbins, and feet - oh the feet! Zipper foot, ruffler, bias-tape, free-from embroidery foot. I can't even remember all of them. Oh, and cams for fancy sitches.

It is so nicely designed. Everything fits in your hand. Everything turns just so. A good machine is so ... good. It didn't need cleaning but I oiled it up, adjusted the bobbin winding gizmo, and un-seized one of the cam-adjusting knobs and it is ready for action. In fact, it has already seen some. Oh and it can sew with double needles. Okay I'll stop now. Deep breaths. This is good. I am ready to plunge back in, more deeply ...